Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Creole Miss, the Tugboat and Remembering the Days of Beach Cats


An afternoon walk to the jetty this afternoon
coincided with the colorful Creole Miss tugboat
and barge leaving the Kennebunk River
heading out to sea. A sight to behold!

( Our last gallery was in the building with the
blue roof across the river. At that time it was
known as the
Schooner's Inn and we were there
for 8 years
from 1994 to 2002. Was a magical
location where the river meets the sea.
It was there our wonderful cat, Ellie May
chose us to be her family. She actually
moved into our gallery and became the "shop cat",
greeting customers and drawing a fan club of her own.
We've been working side by side, everyday ever since!
She's my supervisor and a guiding light!
I've written and illustrated several stories
about Ellie May and her son Walter's adventures
in a small seacoast tourist town. It's not often you
see cats on the beach!
They have not been published , maybe someday!)

I painted this a few years ago of Walter on
the beach.

6 comments:

quiltcat said...

What a beautiful bunch of blues! and it would be really great to have Elli Mae's stories in print!

Nan and =^..^= said...

quiltcat, I would love to be able to publish Ellie May's stories and that of her son Walter (he was a remarkable cat who spent summers at the nearby grand old hotel overlooking the ocean. They are the only cats I've met who spent time on the beach!)
I just may have to figure out how to make the books myself, one at a time!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Nan, I love the painting. It sounds like a wonderful illustrated book. Good luck with publishing. I'd love to see it.
Marnie

Nan and =^..^= said...

Thanks Marnie... I hope I can finish up some of these projects...

Kim said...

I sooo hope you get the book published, it sounds like a magical story. There are lots of harbour cats in our favourite holiday spot, Mousehole in Cornwall, and there's a wonderful book about how a cat saved the village.

Kim x

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi Kim,
thanks for the encouragement about the book!
Ellie May and Walter were almost like celebrities, so many tourists and locals in their neighborhood knew them!