Saturday, July 4, 2009

The 4th of July...continuing

It started the night before...
setting up the tent in the early
evening just before a thunderstorm.

That's my canopy with D kneeling down
driving stakes into the
ground way over on the right side of the
green under the tree.


On Saturday, July 4th, I participated
in the School Around Us Craft Fair.



My 10'x10' space under a tree with my
lightweight canopy was filled to the brim with
a little area for viewing.


All was well til the afternoon... 1st one little shower,
not too bad.
Around 1:30 pm. the skies looked threatening.
D was at home checking the weather radar on his
computer. A helper at the fair came around and
warned of a big storm approaching and for me
to move things to the center of the tent.

to be continued a bit later....

I'm back!
D drove down but couldn't find a nearby parking
space and ended up all the way up at the other
end of the green and down the road a bit near some
Inns.
He appeared just minutes before the heavy downpour
and helped me move some of the things on the outside
and cover some of the print boxes.
Then we ran for it... as fast as we could go through the driving
rain with thunder! He suggested I wait it out in the car
and he would go back to the tent.

The rain was heavy and blowing sideways at times.

The clouds looked threatening for quite some time!

When the rain stopped, I headed back to my
tent...my display was mostly dismantled and
the cloth coverings were wet...I waited it out
til about 4 pm. to pack it all up but really no
one stopped to look for there was not much to
see at that point...I had tried to uncover some
things but it just lost it's atmosphere.
A few more sprinkles and some people
walking with umbrellas and then home
to unpack the car and put everything away!
Fortunately, nothing was damaged!

The brighter spots of the day were seeing all
the wonderful people and pets (click here) who stopped by.
I appreciated all who stopped by to say hello and
those who purchased something and those thinking
about a commission in the future! Many thanks!

Feeling so exhausted, we almost missed the
fireworks. There wasn't any parking nearby
so we ended up parking in the exact same
place the D had parked in the afternoon
during the storm. We had quite a walk to the
ocean but we made it and found a low stone
wall upon which to sit and observe the
fireworks display.


8 comments:

quiltcat said...

uhoh...i hope this story has a happy ending and that all your lovely cards and prints didn't get soaked and blown around!!

JC said...

I hope nothing got wet ...

Barb said...

oh no!!!! :0 say it isn't so....Nan i can't believe you're keeping us in suspense!
i know what it's like to work in a booth with rain...i'm keeping my fingers crossed and am hoping for the best..

Barb said...

i'm glad none of your prints were ruined :) i'm bummed for you and all the other artist/crafters who were rained out. i'm sure there's another fair just around the corner. have a great week nan tell d good job!

Judy Hartman said...

It looks like you made some good contacts and saw some nice doggie friends!
Nan, your canine portraits are fabulous! And your booth is so pretty, from what I can see from the photos.
Wish i had been able to be there, despite the weather!

Nan and =^..^= said...

quiltcat,
I was quite worried for a while especially when the helper at the fair asked me if my tent was anchored down well!

JC, thanks for your concern and fortunately we were able to move things out of harms way and basically the fabric covering my tables etc. got wet but that was ok!

Barb, I appreciate your concern, too! I only do 2 summer fairs and the next one is around Labor Day weekend... same place! It is quite disappointing for I depend on these for income and contacts for hopefully future work. These are very tough times!

Judy H...,
It would have been so nice to see you there but I wouldn't have wanted you to be caught in the downpour! My tent canopy doesn't have any sides but the crafters with tents that had sides were able to completely zip themselves in so they were protected from the rain.
I was worried about the lightning also! I'm thankful the morning was so nice... hope to see you when
you visit Maine!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Good morning Nan. That was disappointing. I'm glad non of your paintings was damaged. How awful if the winds would have been strong enough to topple the tent.
Marnie

Willoughby said...

What a shame the weather put an early end to the craft fair. Your tent looked so beautiful and inviting. Thank goodness nothing was damaged.