Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bicycles



I still have my old favorite Raleigh 3 speed bike.
I fondly recall how excited I felt when I had saved
enough money that I earned as an artist while living
in Old Town Marblehead, Massachusetts to purchase it.
The bike it replaced I had since childhood and it
didn't have any speeds and had fat tires. Difficult
to pedal up the hills.

Years later, for one of our anniversaries,
D surprised me with a new bike that had 5 speeds!
I was thrilled. I had been using
that til several years ago.
The brakes were so loud people could
hear me from great distances away!
My niece got a new bike and
gave me her old one which has
many speeds, maybe 18! What a difference!
It makes bicycling to the ocean a breeze,
so to speak!

Today was so mild for a November
day in Maine,
that I dusted off the bike
and headed for the ocean
with stops
along the way to notice the little things that

are often overlooked when traveling in a car.
Here are some of the sights and things
I noticed
along the way.

This sign has always been puzzling..
what do
you think it means?


Paused along the way at Mast Cove to take
in the beautiful reflection below.



There's many sign posts in
town, which might help or totally
confuse you! (we still have an
old sign there pointing in the
wrong direction)

Must go and work on my art so I will
post more photos later today.

I'm back with more photos of today's
bicycle journey.

Here I'm approaching the neighborhood of
our old gallery... we used to have a shop in that
building
before it had been renovated. Ellie May,
my
studio cat, actually lived in the upstairs
apartment as a kitten with the couple who
owned the building. As she grew she became
very adventurous and discovered every nook and
cranny in the neighborhood. Eventually, she moved
into our gallery when we moved our shop into the
building next door and she never left and now resides
in my studio at home.

Ah, I've reached the ocean..
Here's one of the last beach roses
to be blooming in November!
it is a gray day but the color in the foliage
and berries is
warming.


Just a little further along are benches by the sea.
A good place to pause.
I'll be back a little later with more from today.

Sorting through the photos I took, I'm overhwhelmed!
I took so many photos...everywhere I looked I saw
something that inspired me to paint later in the studio.

(click to image to see it larger)

On the way back, I stopped at a special spot
behind our old gallery, where the river meets the sea.
Even on a gray day it's a place of beauty and serenity.

(prints are available of this sign post in Dock Square,
Kennebunkport and many other scenes of the Kennebunks,

just click on the sign post painting)


I'm going to jump ahead to my return home
but will fill in later as I find time.


4 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

What a cute town you live in! Very Maine. I especially love the photo at the head of the post below: the colors, the composition and the feel of the water. Sweet animal drawings too on your other blog. We live in such an aspiring place for the arts.

Nan and =^..^= said...

sarah, thanks so much for stopping by both of my blogs and I appreciate your comments!

You live in a wonderful part of Maine, too. My husband and I used to love taking day trips in the fall to Brunswick, Phippsburg, Popham Beach, Harpswell and Bailey Island. ( we just haven't been up there in a while)
There is so much of Maine we have yet to see!
I really enjoyed your post about the hike you took with your family up Blueberry Mt. The views were so spectacular!

Speaking of animal drawings, I'd best get back to a pet portrait I'm working on of a greyhound. I can easily get sidetracked when near the computer and blogs!
Hope you visit again!
best wishes,
Nan

Gretel said...

What a super bike ride; I feel I have been on - I can't think of any area of the UK which is like Maine, and what a dear little house you have. It is one of the best things about blogs, being able to see the specialness of other people's faraway homes, from the comfort of your own room.

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi pg, Am glad you could come along on my bike ride! You're so right about blogs, it's wonderful to be able to travel and see where others live without leaving home.

My husband and I actually built our house. We began many years ago (still not finished!) The land was a flat field and D planted everything...it has grown so much over the years, the transformation is amazing. It's a very natural rambling yard now! Will post some photos of the before and now!

thanks again for visiting!