Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!


... a great sense of humor, gentle, generous,
loving, caring, kind, helpful, wise, energetic, brave
~ my Dad ~




My Dad raised white mice when he was a
young boy. He had a bird cage into which he put
3 mice, a small, medium and large. He got the idea to
sell them, 2 cents for the small, 5 cents for the medium and
10 cents for the large mouse. There was a 3 family house
next door so he knocked on the first floor door of an elderly
woman named Mrs. Parent, who was the
mother of one of his friends
.
She said, "Hello Benny, what do you have in the bird cage?"
He replied, "I'm selling the small ones for 2 cents,
the medium for 5 cents and the large for 10 cents. "
Then she said, "What are they?" My Dad replied, "They are
white mice."
Then she slammed the door in his face!
That was the end of his sale, he didn't go anywhere else
and went home. In fact, that ended that career!



Am so thankful you met our wonderful sweet Mom!

Happy Birthday, Dad!
Love you both so much!


4 comments:

quiltcat said...

Lovely tribute, Nan! Happy birthday, Mr. Cooper, and many many more! (is he holding a pet rat by the tail in one of those pics, Nan?)

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi quiltcat, Thanks for the birthday greeting for my Dad..I will have him check it out on his computer! Actually, that is a white mouse and he used to raise them when he was a little boy he tried to sell them in his neighborhood. Actually, I think I will tell the story of his mice business in the post....
thanks again,
Nan

quiltcat said...

Thanks for adding the story of his brief mouse business! I'm in NJ visiting my own father at the moment...he was a young businessman, too, working as a penny boy in his father's penny arcade at the Jersey shore from about the age of 8 on.

Kim said...

Oh, what lovely pictures, Happy Birthday to your Dad from me.

and a Merry Christmas to you and your family :)

Kim x