Friday, February 27, 2009

The Weathervane Painting


I finished the 'Weathervane' painting.
When D was a youngster,
someone told him that
the word NEWS came from weathervane.
He's been carrying that bit of information
all this time and recently shared it with me.
The North, East, West, South spells NEWS.
I hadn't realized when I took the photo of the
weathervane that the letters indicating
north, east, west and south just by chance
were arranged to spell the word news.
You can see it a bit more clearly in my drawing.

We now know, thanks to quiltcat,
that he's been remembering an
urban legend! Oh well, it's still a nice thought!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I love it, what a wonderful painting :)

Kim x

Nan and =^..^= said...

Thanks Kim,
I love the new work you are doing!
Nan

quiltcat said...

It's a great painting, Nan--you really captured the moment! Unfortunately D has fallen for an "urban myth"..."news" means "what is new" as it does in other languages; for example, the word in French is "nouvelles" and means "what is new."