Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"The Waiting Shore"


While rumaging through the basement at
my parents' house, I came across the first
book I was commissioned to illustrate.
I was living in Connecticut at
the time. I had just had a little art exhibit
in a branch bank and didn't get any feedback
while the exhibit was on.
It wasn't until I had taken everything home,
that I received a surprise call from Mr. Albert Putnam.
He had written a book about crustacea
and was wondering
if I might be interested in illustrating it.
D and I went to to meet Mr. Putnam and his dog, Larry,
at his wonderful home in Hartford
with the wisteria blooming and grandfather clocks
chiming in every room.

I was thrilled and it was a pleasure to work
with him. He self published the little book
called "The Waiting Shore".





6 comments:

Gemma Mortlock said...

This is such a delightful little book! What a treasure, You're illustration really look as if they add a personality to the writing. I would love to read it.
Gem
x

Roses and Lilacs said...

Wow, I had no idea you'd illustrated a book. I'll bet that was a little scary at first. You did a wonderful job.

I peeked at amazon and they have a couple used copies.
Marnie

quiltcat said...

What a lovely project that was! I'm sure your illustrations added a lot of life to the text.

Nan and =^..^= said...

Gemma, Marnie and quiltcat,
thanks so much for your comments!
Marnie, I didn't realize it was on amazon! What a surprise!

I have illustrated 2 other little books that were published about a cat.
Will show you them soon.

Kim said...

What a lovely little book, just the sort of treasure I'd love to have on my bookshelf :)

Kim x

bowsprite said...

beautiful drawings! thank you! I'm with Kim: i shall look for this book!